Elizabeth is an experienced and versatile researcher, writer, editor, and proof reader. Her key strength is in making complex subjects accessible and engaging.
She has written on a wide range of human rights subjects including human trafficking and intercountry adoption, the sexualisation of women and girls, female perpetrated child abuse, and war propaganda and international human rights law.
Her written work spans academic journals, journalism, OpEds, analytical reports, creative writing, poetry, marketing material, website copy, educational resources, media releases, speech writing, grant and proposal writing, and donor reporting.
Elizabeth is very creative in terms of artistic inputs, for example conceptualising cartoons and illustrations (right) and using poetry to bring to life complex written materials and subjects. Elizabeth complements her written work with photography and video.
Clients and interviewees have praised Elizabeth for her ability to put children and adults at ease as they tell her their rich and sometimes painful stories. Elizabeth is highly motivated by field research and meeting the people affected by the issues she works on.
Elizabeth works as a writer and editor for Scriptoria sustainable development communications, and for Transparency International.
Examples of Elizabeth’s published work
- May 2016: Live Encounters Magazine Neocolonialism & national interest: The politics & inequalities of Foreign Aid
- April 2016: Adolescents act against child marriage in Kakuma refugee camp, Kenya for UNICEF ESARO
- April 2016: Profile for UNICEF ESARO of four boys who escaped the conflict in South Sudan and are now rebuilding their lives at Kakuma refugee camp, Kenya.
- November 2015: The Faces of Change series (right) prepared for UNICEF for the First African Girls’ Summit on Ending Child Marriage in Africa
- November 2015: African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC) Communications materials for the 25th anniversary of the adoption of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child, including a quiz for children.
- November 2015 for UNICEF: Zambia: A safe space for the treatment of child survivors of sexual abuse
- September 2015: Cartoons and copywriting for UNICEF Ghana Child Protection Research and Child and Family Welfare Policy
- June 2015: Video on Education for Children with Disabilities in Rwanda
- June 2015: Mercy International Association: Global Action writer, contributor and editor of A Guide to Rights-Based Advocacy: International Human Rights Law and Fracking
- February 2015: Video on civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) and birth registration in Mozambique for UNICEF
- February 2015: OpEd Civil registration: Africa’s greatest development failure holds key to her success Mail and Guardian Africa and EurActiv.com; UNICEF media release
- September 2014: Live Encounters Magazine When the earth is cut: Poem about indigenous rights and the environment
- April 2014: Live Encounters Magazine Someone, something, somewhere pays: Poem about the true cost of food
- January 2014: Live Encounters Magazine Poem about the trafficking of children for sexual exploitation
- November 2013: UN Women UK National Committee and the National Alliance of Women’s Organisations (NAWO) Guest contributor UK preparatory meeting: UN Commission on the Status of Women 58th Session
- October 2013: Greater London Authority
Return on Investment Section for Shadow City: Exposing Human Trafficking in Everyday London
- September 2013: UNICEF Writing and editing UNICEF Research for Children 2013: From Evidence to Action (right), the first systematic attempt to showcase the breadth and depth of UNICEF’s research work
- September 2012: Think Africa Press & La Strada International Ties that bind: African witchcraft and contemporary slavery
- July 2012: House of Commons Speech on sexualisation in advertising
- July 2012: Think Africa Press & The Africa Portal Adoption trade sets up shop in Africa
- May 2012: Production of media pack and fact sheets for The African Child Policy Forum’s 5th International Policy Conference Intercountry Adoption: Alternatives and Controversies
- September 2010: On Line Opinion She-wolves in sheeps’ clothing, female perpetrated child abuse
- June 2010: On Line Opinion Stepping up the fight against childhood sexualisation
- May 2010: On Line Opinion Breast intentions, counselling support for bottle feeding mothers
- October 2009: Happyzine If you’re happy and you know it keep it that way
- August 2005: Ethical Space, The International Journal of Communication Ethics, and as chapter 2 of Communication Ethics Now (right), edited by Richard Keeble The media’s role in war propaganda
- 2004: Peace Review, Law and War issue 2004 Propaganda’s war on human rights
- February 2003: UN Chronicle Magazine (right) Iraq: the road to war
- February 2003: UN Chronicle Magazine Thailand: Pile Them High, Sell Them Cheap: Women and Sex for Sale
- February 2003: UN Chronicle Magazine UN literacy decade: interview with UNESCO’s Director-General
- January 2003: UN Chronicle Magazine Promoting literacy for a decade of action
- January 2003: UN Chronicle Magazine Women’s rights on the UN agenda