Writing and editing
Elizabeth is a skilled communications professional and experienced researcher, writer, editor and proofreader. She has researched and written on a wide range of human rights subjects, including humanitarian assistance, education, child marriage and children and armed conflict. Elizabeth’s written work spans academic journals, journalism, OpEds, analytical reports, policy briefs, website copy, human interest stories, case studies, lessons learned, educational resources, media releases, speech writing, presentations, grant and proposal writing, and donor reporting.
Elizabeth’s key strengths are consolidating vast amounts of information from multiple sources in varied formats – video, emails, questionnaires, reports, websites, one on one interviews, etc; communicating complex information in a clear sighted way; suggesting accompanying graphics and illustration; taking or suggesting accompanying photography; and her engaging interviewing ability.
- 2018: Developing three case studies on UNICEF’s engagement with the African Union on ending child marriage; protecting children affected by armed conflict; and support to the African Committee of Experts for the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC).
- 2018: Production of five thematic briefs for Schools for Africa: 1. early learning and pre-primary, 2. quality primary, 3. pathways to citizenship and livelihoods, 4. adolescent girls and 5. children with disabilities.
- 2016-2018: Researching and writing three case studies (data use; knowledge exchange; scale and sustainability) and nine lessons learned on decentralised near real-time monitoring (NRTM) for UNICEF, e.g. for a multisectoral approach to stunting reduction in Zimbabwe (uniting health, nutrition, social protection and WASH interventions) and to support Kenya and Uganda’s reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH) scorecards through District Health Information Software (DHIS2). See the accompanying whiteboard animation.
- 2016-2017: Writing five gender programmatic briefs and five related pocket guides for UNICEF ESARO gender section based on the regional priorities such as “survive and thrive” and “achieving adolescent development, protection and participation”. Included recommendations on gender equitable programming in areas such as child protection, health, HIV, nutrition and WASH.
- 2016: Rapporteur for UNICEF ESARO Gender Network & Child Protection Network Meetings. Documenting the two events and producing reader-friendly reports, and writing/editing 10 case studies on gender programming and six child protection briefs.
- 2015–2016: Field visits to Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, Zambia to document child protection issues: Birth registration and civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS); child marriage; violence against children (VAC); children formerly associated with armed groups; unaccompanied and separated children. Outputs included: human interest stories; video; photography; series of fact sheets in the release and reintegration of children from armed groups; communications products for the African Girl’s Summit on Ending Child Marriage in Africa November 2015, and the 25th anniversary of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child; case study Improved Emergency Preparedness & Response to Cross-Border Movements of Children in the Great Lakes Region.
- 2014-2015: Field visits to Mozambique, Nigeria, Uganda to document the EU-UNICEF programme on birth registration and CRVS Breaking with Broken Systems including the production of video (Mozambique; Nigeria) and photography.
- 2012: Preparation of media pack with series of fact sheets for the Africa Child Policy Forum conference on the abuse of inter-country adoption, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Going to scale with ICTs for agriculture, CTA Publishing, 2017
- Girls in conflict with the law in Uganda: Experiences and needs before, during and after contact with the criminal and informal justice systems, Chance for Childhood with Street Child Africa, Nov 2016
- Research cited in Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Study on the Fulfilment of the Right to Education of Children with Disabilities, UNICEF and Education Development Trust, 2016
- Evaluating the media landscape in Africa & harnessing new communications opportunities review for UNICEF ESARO, 2015 (unpublished)
- Guide to Rights-Based Advocacy: International Human Rights Law & Fracking, Mercy Int’l, 2015
- Shadow City, Exposing Human Trafficking in Everyday London – return on investment section, Greater London Authority, 2013
- UNICEF Research for Children 2013: From Evidence to Action, UNICEF Office of Research, 2013
- Human Writes: The Media’s Role in War Propaganda Chapter 2 of Communication Ethics Now, Troubador Publishing, 2008, edited by Richard Keeble
- The Media’s Role in War Propaganda Ethical Space: The International Journal of Communication Ethics, Vol 2, Number 3 2005
See Elizabeth’s article library for further links to published work.